Steamed Napa Cabbage with Soybean Paste (된장 배추 찜)
From the temple food tradition, this recipe is full of healthy appreciation for the basic ingredients and only requires 3 ingredients. It’s so quick, easy, and delicious – especially if you make sure to find a good doenjang (soybean paste). It’s great for a busy evening as it’s so easy and quick. Here you go – hope you enjoy it as much as Bill and I do!
Steamed Napa Cabbage with Soybean Paste – 된장 배추 찜 (Serves 4-6 people)
Water, 1 and half cup
Kelp, 2 pieces
1 whole Napa Cabbage, medium size
Soybean paste, 3-4 tablespoons of soybean paste
Perrilla Oil, 1 tablespoon
1. Put one and half cups of water and 2 pieces of kelp into a pot and start boiling.
2. Add in the napa cabbage leaves into the pot (separated into each leaf).
3. Let the steam rise and cook the leaves so they are soft. Don’t let them get too soft or they will be mushy.
4. Add the perilla oil and 3 to 4 tablespoons of doenjang (soybean paste) to the pot (depending on how salty the doenjang is, you can add more or less. Make sure you don’t have too little – it has to be fairly strong!) and mix into the leaves and water well.
5. Place in a serving bowl and serve with rice – enjoy!!
Steam the cabbage.